RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance.
Xbox One console users report that their TV or monitor suddenly stops showing an image, with the No Signal error message, even when the console is fully charged. This issue occurs on Xbox One, Xbox One S or Xbox One X.
If your TV screen often turns white or black, below are some troubleshooting steps to solve these problems with the Xbox One without signal and to reset the black screen resolution.
Resetting the display
- If your Xbox One console has a disk, remove it.
- On the console, press and hold the Xbox button for five seconds to turn off the console.
- Press and hold the Xbox button and the eject button until you hear a beep to turn on the console. You will hear an immediate beep and after 10 seconds a second beep. The power indicator flashes before beeping again. Don’t let go until you hear a second beep.
- Pay attention. This will boot your console in low resolution mode (640 × 480). To reset this setting, go to the manual under System>Settings, select Display and Sound, Video Settings, and then TV Resolution.
- If you need to perform these steps on each startup, change the TV connection to HDMI as described in step 3 of the next chapter: Your screen is blank and you are using a digital video recorder in your installation.
January 2021 Updated:
We now recommend that you use this tool to correct the error. The tool also corrects common computer errors, protects against file loss, malware and hardware failures, and optimizes your PC for optimal performance. With this software, you can quickly solve IT problems and prevent others from suffering:
- Step 1 : Download the PC Repair and Optimization Tool (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista – Microsoft Gold Certified).
- Step 2 : Click on the Start scan button to detect problems in the Windows registry that may cause PC problems.
- Step 3 : Click the Fix All button to fix all issues.
Check HDMI inputs
Many TVs have multiple HDMI ports for Blu-ray players, game consoles and other multimedia devices, and it’s easy to mix and match. It is also easy to accidentally switch to the wrong HDMI channel if you remove or drop the remote control from the TV. Try scrolling through different HDMI sources to see if you are on the wrong channel.
Clean the Xbox One console.
Xbox consoles can collect dust very quickly near air vents. This can lead to overheating and problems such as the No Signal Detected error. If you have one, remove the dust with an air gun. A normal vacuum cleaner will also work.
Power Cycle or Slope Start Xbox One
- Step one. When the Xbox is fully powered on, press and hold the Xbox button on the console (not the joystick) for 10 seconds or until the front light stops blinking.
- Step 2 After you have completely shut down the Xbox, unplug it and wait a full minute before attempting to plug it back in and turn it on.
- Step three. Restart your Xbox One console by pressing the Xbox button.
- Step four. When the first Xbox animated screen appears on the TV, make sure the Cool Boot operation is complete.
Run Xbox One in low resolution mode.
You may also see a No Signal error on your Xbox One console in a scenario where you connect the console to a TV that does not support the resolution currently set for the Xbox console.
In this case, you can solve the problem by forcing the Xbox One console to boot in a low-resolution model.
Fortunately, Microsoft has created an unusual solution for these situations, so there’s no need to blindly try to change them without seeing them. On Xbox One S and Xbox One X, you can force the console to boot with the lowest resolution possible by using a hotkey at startup.
- First, hold down the power button on the console for about 10 seconds or until you hear a beep and the fan stops.
- Wait about 30 seconds to make sure your system is off. Then, simultaneously press and hold the power button (on the console) until you hear a second beep (after 15-20 seconds).
- Your console should light up. If the process was successful, you can tell by the two bars at the bottom and top of the screen (and usually poor image quality) that your console started in low resolution mode).
- If the process was successful, simply set the screen to the highest resolution the TV supports to get the best possible picture. To do this, press the Xbox button on the Gamepad, navigate to System in the navigation menu that appears, and tap Settings in the menu that appears.
- Select Display & Audio from the Settings menu on the left, switch to the right pane and open the Video Output menu.
- Then in the video output settings, change the display resolution to match the maximum resolution allowed for your TV or monitor.
- Then confirm, and all is well.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to diagnose Windows errors and optimize system performance.
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Convenience Store
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing computer professional. I have years of experience in computer programming, troubleshooting and hardware repair. I specialize in web development and database design. I also have a CCNA certification in network design and troubleshooting.
xbox one hdmi no signal samsung, microsoft xbox one no signal, xbox one says hdmi not connected, xbox one light comes on but nothing happens, xbox one black screen of death, xbox one hdmi port broken, xbox one black screen 2020, xbox one hdmi alternative